Who can become a registered user of the HCBI?
The Harvard Center for Biological Imaging is open to the entire Harvard Community as well as all external academic and commercial researchers.
How can I register to use the HCBI?
Steps 1-4 can be completed in unison -
- Contact Doug Richardson (email@example.com) or Sven Terclavers (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a time to discuss your project.
- Download and complete the Project Registration Form (all users).
- Download and complete the Memorandum of Understanding (external and affiliate users only).
- Email or drop off completed forms to Sarah Elwell; email@example.com
- You will receive a registration confirmation email from Sarah Elwell outlining the process to obtain a Harvard ID (if required), a research computing account (if required), and request a billing/expense code from your lab administrator.
- Once your expense code is in place, and you have a sample prepared, log into SPINAL to see when the microscope is free. Reserve 2-3 hours on the microscope as well as on Dave, Sven, or Doug's training calendars. Dave trains on all confocals, the Axio Zoom, Axio Scan and Cell Observer on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Trainings on all other instruments are scheduled with Sven or Doug when their schedules permit.
- Send Dave, Sven, or Doug an email to say you've reserved a training slot, which microscope it's on, and what kind of sample you're bringing.
- Within 30 days (and prior to being granted after-hours access) you must complete Commercial Laser Microscope safety training. Please log into EH&S' Training Management System to complete this online training.
For a table outlining the HCBI fee structure click here.